Midwinter Meandering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin
https://midwintermeandering.forumotion.com

Twitter Is Dying and I Want Off - An Attempted Revival Empty Twitter Is Dying and I Want Off - An Attempted Revival

Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:13 pm
I really hate modern social media.

Twitter, one of the world's most prominent communication sources, is in the middle of a slow (but perhaps rapidly increasing) collapse as a modern-day Nero realizes that purchasing the title of Supreme Leader of Twitter does not mean he has any clue how to run it. Even without the current and upcoming changes (which seem designed to make the site unusable unless you pay a monthly fee of $Cool, Twitter has felt increasingly unhealthy.

Facebook, meanwhile, pushes advertisements and suggested meme pages more frequently than anything my friends are posting, and even then what they post are mostly just advertisements for their upcoming stuff and posts from meme pages.

I have no interest in image or video-focused platforms like Instagram or TikTok, plus I'm not super stoked about learning another new platform. Which leaves...Reddit, I guess? Which is apparently going through its own issues right now?

So I find myself meandering back here, to good ol' MWM. I miss forums. I miss longer-form posts like this. I've missed being able to format my posts how I want, to actually use bold or italics to make a point, to make text bigger or smaller or add color if I want. And screw it, I can even write in Comic Sans.

But more than that, I miss having a place to hang out with people. A place to just sit and chat without having to worry about whether what I said was worth a like and subscribe. Forums aren't competitive. They're casual. Low pressure. Meandering.

Which is why I've decided that around midsummer is the perfect time to try to bring back Midwinter Meandering. Or at least, that's the better way of saying that the places I where I used to hang out online are burning as rapidly as the rest of the world, and I'm probably not the only person looking for somewhere new to go. So whether it be for a while, or just a short time, I'll hope you'll join me in meandering once again.

The forums are (for now) back open for business.

JanieCox likes this post

Thehoennhippo
Thehoennhippo
Setting Out

Twitter Is Dying and I Want Off - An Attempted Revival Empty Re: Twitter Is Dying and I Want Off - An Attempted Revival

Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:31 pm
Midsummer meandering...

As for other platforms I was definitely planning on experimenting with increasing my presence on Reddit again with Twitter being what it is, but there's a whole lot going on there too so that hasn't ended up being in the cards.

Part of me is still skeptical that twitter is actually going to collapse all the way. The idea of something being "too big to fail" has definitely taken some blows recently but somehow it's still hard for me to picture, even with how poor it has been recently. I'll believe it when I see it I suppose.
dorothyoka
dorothyoka
Admin

Twitter Is Dying and I Want Off - An Attempted Revival Empty Re: Twitter Is Dying and I Want Off - An Attempted Revival

Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:42 pm
Post-Elon acquisition I was already starting to use places like Doomworld more than Twitter, both to help what in all likeliness is a bit of an addiction to social media and keep up with a subset of a hobby I was slowly getting more and more invested in, so another forum on top of that might be nice to check.
Seri
Seri
Meandering

Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:39 am
Social was never my thing, if Twitter did go down for real, only thing I can see bothering with s maybe going back to some forums.

So yeah, even if it only lasts for a few weeks at a time, always up for more of this.
Ohmygodiamonfire
Ohmygodiamonfire
Traveler

Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:06 pm
Can I just say I want to fucking break Elon's knees and elbows permanently and leave him a cripple here? Because I do.

A great thing about a lax forum like this is I can say something like that without being banned lmao
Seri
Seri
Meandering

Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:14 am
You reminded me of the time you told Copper off by saying you wanted to crush their skull with a baseball bat. I'm shocked you got away with that.

It was also hot.

DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin
https://midwintermeandering.forumotion.com

Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:08 pm
Ohmygodiamonfire wrote:Can I just say I want to fucking break Elon's knees and elbows permanently and leave him a cripple here? Because I do.

A great thing about a lax forum like this is I can say something like that without being banned lmao

I feel like I should be issuing a warning but considering the person in question I'd be more inclined to grab a lead pipe and join in myself.

Seri wrote:
It was also hot.

Get a room.
Ohmygodiamonfire
Ohmygodiamonfire
Traveler

Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:00 am
DaLadybugMan wrote:
Ohmygodiamonfire wrote:Can I just say I want to fucking break Elon's knees and elbows permanently and leave him a cripple here? Because I do.

I feel like I should be issuing a warning but considering the person in question I'd be more inclined to grab a lead pipe and join in myself.

Don't worry, violence is only directed at billionaires here.

Seri wrote:You reminded me of the time you told Copper off by saying you wanted to crush their skull with a baseball bat. I'm shocked you got away with that.

It was also hot.

And dirtbags, but I straight up don't remember that time.

JanieCox likes this post

Seri
Seri
Meandering

Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:49 am
It was during a particularly condescending moment. Though come to think of it that was pretty common period, even among the "nice" people.

Ohmygodiamonfire likes this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum