Midwinter Meandering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin
https://midwintermeandering.forumotion.com

The Rasslin' Thread Empty The Rasslin' Thread

Fri May 22, 2020 9:22 pm
Since I've recently started watching Wrestling with WWE's Attitude Era and I know we have some wrestling fans here, I figured I'd start a thread to talk about all things related to the square circle.
Wahmphi
Wahmphi
Meandering

The Rasslin' Thread Empty Re: The Rasslin' Thread

Fri May 22, 2020 9:34 pm
This is now a Razor Ramon thread.

DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin

Fri May 22, 2020 10:11 pm
Dunno who this Razor Ramon guy is but he looks a lot like WCW's Scott Hall.

The Rasslin' Thread 81748310
Wahmphi
Wahmphi
Meandering

Fri May 22, 2020 10:18 pm
DaLadybugMan wrote:Dunno who this Razor Ramon guy is but he looks a lot like WCW's Scott Hall.

You're probably joking but in case you aren't: its the same dude. Scott Hall is his real name, Razor Ramon was the earlier ring name and gimmick they had for him while he was with the WWF.

He had this thing where he'd swagger out into the arena and flick a toothpick at somebody in the crowd. Top tier heel.

He did a really piss poor faux-Cuban accent that is kinda racist in retrospect but also incredibly amusing to me. They also had a big Samoan fellow pretending to be a sumo wrestler. Early 90s RAW is a trip.
DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin

Fri May 22, 2020 10:23 pm
Yeah, I was trolling. I only know him because of a little bit of research into the era. He and Diesel/Keven Nash apparently left WWE shortly before I started watching but I'm positive I've seen them show up once or twice? Maybe some residual contractual stuff, or maybe it was just a flashback to earlier events, since those are a thing.
Seri
Seri
Meandering

Fri May 22, 2020 10:31 pm
After they left, WWF continued to use the characters of Razor Ramon and Diesel, just played by different wrestlers. It didn't last long because they didn't realize that you can't just recast wrestlers like that, so they were dropped, maybe that's what you saw?
DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin

Fri May 22, 2020 10:52 pm
Almost certainly, since the guy with the Razors on his tights I saw did, from what I remember, look markedly different from Hall.
Seri
Seri
Meandering

Fri May 22, 2020 10:55 pm
I'm hoping you don't burn out of wrestling, because will be interesting to see you go back and watch the rise and fall of the Ultimate Warrior!
DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin

Fri May 22, 2020 10:59 pm
Which one's the Ultimate Warrior?

Is that Brock Lesnar?
Seri
Seri
Meandering

Fri May 22, 2020 11:06 pm
I know you are a long way from that, but I still don't see why they ended a legendary winning streak for The Undertaker, to Brock of all people, and did nothing afterwards. I understand there was a rumor of retirement, and the rule is everyone has to go out on their back, but Brock never got a big push after that, and Undertaker continued on at least until a year or 2 back. Seems all sorts of badly planned!

Also, I somehow blanked on Undertaker's name and was about to put "Tombstone Man" as a placeholder.
Wahmphi
Wahmphi
Meandering

Sat May 23, 2020 2:33 pm
Tombstone Man/Take Me By The Hand/Lead Me To The Land/That You Understand

I'm not exactly in the know about contemporary (well, as contemporary as 2014 is) wrestling but the general impression I got is that WWE had lots of poor planning going on from 2014-2017 or so

A low point in the product or a rough transition to the current era
EvieSigma
EvieSigma
Meandering

Sat May 23, 2020 3:52 pm
Buggy and Seri have basically rekindled my long lost interest in pro wrestling (I haven't watched an entire PPV in TWO YEARS) so now I gotta get a new WWE Network subscription.

I'm thinking of breaking with the trend and starting with an underrated year in wrestling, 1992 in WCW.
Wahmphi
Wahmphi
Meandering

Sat May 23, 2020 5:26 pm
EvieSigma wrote:I'm thinking of breaking with the trend and starting with an underrated year in wrestling, 1992 in WCW.

What was happening in WCW then?
EvieSigma
EvieSigma
Meandering

Sat May 23, 2020 6:17 pm
Wahmphi wrote:
EvieSigma wrote:I'm thinking of breaking with the trend and starting with an underrated year in wrestling, 1992 in WCW.

What was happening in WCW then?

Well 1992 saw the rise of my favorite underrated wrestling faction, the Dangerous Alliance, led by a pre-ECW Paul Heyman and featuring such names as Rick Rude, Arn Anderson, and a pre-Stone Cold Steve Austin. I believe 1992 was also the year Vader debuted in WCW, which led to some great matches involving him and Sting. So, plenty of good stuff for me.
DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin

Sat May 23, 2020 6:58 pm
Ah, I know Vader. He's been pretty big in WWE in 97. He was "Big Van Vader" in WCW, right? I know that jumping networks leads to a lot of pseudo name changes.
EvieSigma
EvieSigma
Meandering

Sat May 23, 2020 7:06 pm
DaLadybugMan wrote:Ah, I know Vader. He's been pretty big in WWE in 97. He was "Big Van Vader" in WCW, right? I know that jumping networks leads to a lot of pseudo name changes.

Yeah, Vader's big moments in WCW were feuding with Ric Flair, Sting, and Ron Simmons and teaming with Sid Vicious (AKA Sid Justice/Sycho Sid/sometimes just Sid) against Sting and Davey Boy Smith.
DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin

Sat May 23, 2020 7:21 pm
Oh, I love Sycho Sid.

It's insane just how many wrestlers I know of seem to have spent at least some time in both WWE and WCW. There sure was a whole lot of roster jumping, huh?
EvieSigma
EvieSigma
Meandering

Sat May 23, 2020 7:29 pm
DaLadybugMan wrote:Oh, I love Sycho Sid.

It's insane just how many wrestlers I know of seem to have spent at least some time in both WWE and WCW. There sure was a whole lot of roster jumping, huh?

In 1999, every single high-card wrestler in the WWF except The Rock was someone who had previously wrestled in WCW or another non-WWF promotion. Stone Cold Steve Austin, Triple H, The Undertaker, Kane, Mick Foley, Big Show, all these men previously wrestled for a different company before becoming WWF main-eventers.
Seri
Seri
Meandering

Sat May 23, 2020 10:29 pm
DaLadybugMan wrote:Oh, I love Sycho Sid.

It always kinda blows my mind how many WWF superstars went to WCW. But then again, they apparently paid Hulk Hogan way more than he ever made at WWF (which is amazing to think of sine he was THE superstar who made the company, basically), they offered Macho Man the chance to wrestle again after Vince forced him into a commentary only retirement, and plenty of other wrestlers who were happy to get basic things like days off.
DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin

Sun May 24, 2020 1:17 am
So what all do I need to know about Mankind? He seems like he's going to be prominent but I don't know too much about him at the moment.

Tell me about Mankind. Why does he wear the mask?
EvieSigma
EvieSigma
Meandering

Sun May 24, 2020 10:22 pm
You know, the mid to late 2000s are not a time in wrestling I consider a "golden age", but I still just...really like Batista.

His theme song is great, he's JACKED, and his finisher is a wicked powerbomb and I love powerbombs.

DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin

Mon May 25, 2020 11:21 pm
I've decided to jump ahead to 2020 to try to catch up to Present Day, Present Time, and I'm already stoked, but mostly because most of the story so far has been focused on how fellow South Dakota native BRRRRRROCK LESNAAAAAAAR is going to defend the title by joining the Royal Rumble first.
EvieSigma
EvieSigma
Meandering

Tue May 26, 2020 10:26 am
Well...I guess I shouldn't spoil you on what happens.
DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin

Tue May 26, 2020 10:52 am
Oh, don't worry, Paul Heyman already spoiled me that Brock wins.

(no but in all seriously please don't spoil me considering that I know a few things that happen this year but the Royal Rumble results aren't one of those things)
Seri
Seri
Meandering

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:29 am
So, you've watched a rather astounding amount of wrestling in such a short amount of time, anyone's mic skills impress you?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum