Midwinter Meandering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Chat

+12
JanieCox
Katsie
SpicyTomato
Jadelynn
Pear
DaLadybugMan
Wahmphi
LakeElysia
Animecommentary
Seri
EvieSigma
dorothyoka
16 posters
Go down
Katsie
Katsie
Meandering

General Chat - Page 3 Empty Re: General Chat

Sat May 30, 2020 5:12 pm
I'm taking the opportunity to socialize and catch up with friends that Tomato and I have been meaning to interact with again. We're making a weekend out of the experience.
Ohmygodiamonfire
Ohmygodiamonfire
Traveler

Sat May 30, 2020 9:11 pm
I've spent a good chunk of today asleep.

Tonight though, the drinks come out.
EvieSigma
EvieSigma
Meandering

Sat May 30, 2020 10:08 pm
Mostly gaming and also drinking.
Katsie
Katsie
Meandering

Sat May 30, 2020 10:12 pm
Every gamer requires fuel, like a game engine requires the sauce.
Seri
Seri
Meandering

Sat May 30, 2020 10:59 pm
It took me until today to notice that this forum is odd to me in the fact that the avatars are on the right side instead of the left!

In a way, I almost feel like that would have helped so many forums I was a part of, since you would have at least started reading the post before seeing the avatar and making up your mind based on that!
Ohmygodiamonfire
Ohmygodiamonfire
Traveler

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:23 pm
Summer heat's finally rolling in. Honestly feels like it's taken too long to get to this point.

Granted, I'm like a crazy person in that summer is my favorite season, so I expect everyone's dreading it.
EvieSigma
EvieSigma
Meandering

Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:19 pm
I just hope the air conditioning in my truck is still working, it was working at the end of last summer but that doesn't guarantee it still works now.
JanieCox
JanieCox
Meandering
https://janiecox.wixsite.com/janiecox

Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:16 pm
I've been super tired recently, think Quarantine is getting to me and messing up my sleep schedule
Been taking significantly more naps than I was previously
DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin
https://midwintermeandering.forumotion.com

Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:22 pm
Well I've been gone the entire weekend due to my little sister getting married, but hey, guess who's back now? That's right it's Buggy.
Ohmygodiamonfire
Ohmygodiamonfire
Traveler

Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:38 pm
DaLadybugMan wrote:Well I've been gone the entire weekend due to my little sister getting married, but hey, guess who's back now? That's right it's Buggy.
Just in time for your birthday.
DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin

Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:49 pm
Ohmygodiamonfire wrote:
DaLadybugMan wrote:Well I've been gone the entire weekend due to my little sister getting married, but hey, guess who's back now? That's right it's Buggy.

How the hell do you know that's coming up? I don't advertise my---

*sigh* The forum. I put my birthday in so the forum alerts everyone as to when it is. fantastic.
EvieSigma
EvieSigma
Meandering

Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:04 pm
Man, I need to find a more lightweight hobby, or maybe just see a doctor. Keep hurting my back.
Ohmygodiamonfire
Ohmygodiamonfire
Traveler

Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:25 pm
DaLadybugMan wrote:
Ohmygodiamonfire wrote:

How the hell do you know that's coming up? I don't advertise my---

*sigh* The forum. I put my birthday in so the forum alerts everyone as to when it is. fantastic.

It's also on your twitter profile, which is how I remember it.
sky_and_sea
sky_and_sea
Setting Out

Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:58 pm
Since last Wednesday I've been working on a sugar beet farm out of town from 6:00 in the morning 'til 2:15.
As someone with zero agricultural education or prior farming experience, it's difficult not to feel like an imposter.
The first couple of days I was met with reasonable skepticism regarding my dedication to the job. I can't blame them, considering
I was some skinny city boy who arrived on short notice from a temp agency with a poor turnover rate.

So far, the job has been enjoyable (in spite of the heat, aches, and manual labor which will only worsen over the summer).
The overall work culture feels strong and my coworkers strike me as kind people.
While I don't see myself finding a career in agriculture or staying in the long term, this job gives me the vibe that my tens of hours invested into Harvest Moon wasn't for nothing. It has been a unique blessing/opportunity in my life, so I hope to make the best of it.
DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:25 pm
Farm work is something that I'd highly recommend and also something that I do not in any way miss. But just being involved in the food production process really gives you a new appreciation for it, and manual labor is, y'know...not fun, but a valuable experience.
Katsie
Katsie
Meandering

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:47 pm
Gardening and growing food feels fulfilling. I've learned how to do a lot of different homesteading things!

It's satisfying to watch seeds grow into huge plants. (Spicy)Tomato and I are growing sunflowers; one of them is as tall as us now 8-)
Ohmygodiamonfire
Ohmygodiamonfire
Traveler

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:49 pm
sky_and_sea wrote:Since last Wednesday I've been working on a sugar beet farm out of town from 6:00 in the morning 'til 2:15.
As someone with zero agricultural education or prior farming experience, it's difficult not to feel like an imposter.
The first couple of days I was met with reasonable skepticism regarding my dedication to the job. I can't blame them, considering
I was some skinny city boy who arrived on short notice from a temp agency with a poor turnover rate.

So far, the job has been enjoyable (in spite of the heat, aches, and manual labor which will only worsen over the summer).
The overall work culture feels strong and my coworkers strike me as kind people.
While I don't see myself finding a career in agriculture or staying in the long term, this job gives me the vibe that my tens of hours invested into Harvest Moon wasn't for nothing. It has been a unique blessing/opportunity in my life, so I hope to make the best of it.

Huh, I didn't know temp agencies sent people to work in agricultural positions, figured that be something you'd have to seek out on your own or whatever. At least it's seeming like valuable learning experience at any rate.
kbnet
kbnet
Setting Out
https://kbnet.tumblr.com/

Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:38 am
Presumably these are specialized temp agencies. I doubt after working inventory in a cheese shop or something a normal temp agency would say "alright, time to ship you out a hundred miles to a farm, good luck."
Ohmygodiamonfire
Ohmygodiamonfire
Traveler

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:16 pm
Been going though the Bionicle story for the first time in years, and while so far the starting year's writing has stood up, it's kind of absurd how much of it's story is told though bits and pieces of different forms of media due to the cancellation of the video game that was meant to be the main storytelling vehicle. Like, we've got an online flash game that fleshes out the universe, a book that tells a good chunk of the main story focused on the 6 heroes, and the 3 intro comics that set the tone of everything, and that's not getting into the fact that the website I'm reading this on includes snippets from the fucking trading card game that has additional story details.

Like, this was a true multimedia franchise, back in 2001, and I'm only shocked it worked, let alone became such a major cultural hit back in the day to the point it saved the Lego Company from bankruptcy. Part of me wants to think it's because the writing didn't talk down to the audience like a lot of toy franchises's media often did, but who knows.
Seri
Seri
Meandering

Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:02 am
Admittedly I was only a casual, but I wonder how much of it was the actual story, and how much was simple cool toys with exotic names and little glimpses or ongoing story/lore in the commercials. I can't imagine most of the target fans having internet access back then. I'm thinking that was more icing on the cake for what was otherwise a fairly solid customizable action figure line.

Also, I always heard it was Star Wars that saved Lego, but guess both of them hitting around the same time helped either way!
Ohmygodiamonfire
Ohmygodiamonfire
Traveler

Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:43 am
Seri wrote:Admittedly I was only a casual, but I wonder how much of it was the actual story, and how much was simple cool toys with exotic names and little glimpses or ongoing story/lore in the commercials. I can't imagine most of the target fans having internet access back then. I'm thinking that was more icing on the cake for what was otherwise a fairly solid customizable action figure line.

Also, I always heard it was Star Wars that saved Lego, but guess both of them hitting around the same time helped either way!
Lego Star Wars helped keep Lego afloat, but with the lisceing fees attached to it they weren't making a whole lot of money off of it. Bionicle, being wholly owned by them helped make them bank, especially in 2002-2003.

And most kids, at least from what I remember when I was that age hanging out with my peers, had enough access to the internet to browse the sites, even if the flash game took forever to load on early 2000's internet. That, or they got most of the story though the comics, like I did as well.
JanieCox
JanieCox
Meandering
https://janiecox.wixsite.com/janiecox

Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:05 am
Ohmygodiamonfire wrote:And most kids, at least from what I remember when I was that age hanging out with my peers, had enough access to the internet to browse the sites, even if the flash game took forever to load on early 2000's internet. That, or they got most of the story though the comics, like I did as well.

I got lore through the movies, website, and I owned a GBA game for it that I never beat
Never was too interested until long after its time though
Ohmygodiamonfire
Ohmygodiamonfire
Traveler

Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:55 am
JanieCox wrote:
Ohmygodiamonfire wrote:And most kids, at least from what I remember when I was that age hanging out with my peers, had enough access to the internet to browse the sites, even if the flash game took forever to load on early 2000's internet. That, or they got most of the story though the comics, like I did as well.

I got lore through the movies, website, and I owned a GBA game for it that I never beat
Oh, right, the movies...

I'm not looking forward to having to watch them.
DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:43 pm
kbnet wrote:Presumably these are specialized temp agencies. I doubt after working inventory in a cheese shop or something a normal temp agency would say "alright, time to ship you out a hundred miles to a farm, good luck."

Farm work in general is pretty unique as a lot of it is pretty entry level (making it easy to send people out to a farm if they need the help), but also you have to be super careful because depending on what you're doing, it can be highly dangerous and/or screwing up can cause a lot of damage.

Ohmygodiamonfire wrote:
JanieCox wrote:

Oh, right, the movies...

I'm not looking forward to having to watch them.

What are you talking about? The Mask of Light is a cinematic masterpiece.

It really blew my mind when you revealed a while ago that Bionicle was basically about microorganisms delivered via pill fighting cancer. That franchise really did lowkey have the Deepest Lore.
Wahmphi
Wahmphi
Meandering

Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:55 pm
today's the Bugster's b-day, everyone harass him

I'm finally back to work after a long break due to the pandemic, feels good to be a contributing member of society again but today was exhausting
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum