Midwinter Meandering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you currently watching/reading?

+14
KazumaKillyou
JanieCox
Wahmphi
Jadelynn
Pear
sky_and_sea
jaehaerys48
LakeElysia
Animecommentary
dorothyoka
Seri
Ohmygodiamonfire
EvieSigma
DaLadybugMan
18 posters
Go down
JanieCox
JanieCox
Meandering
https://janiecox.wixsite.com/janiecox

What are you currently watching/reading? - Page 3 Empty Re: What are you currently watching/reading?

Sun May 24, 2020 12:06 am
Jadelynn wrote:I haven't gotten around to it yet, hope to do so one of these days.

. . . I have a large backlog of programs I say that about though.

I totally get that. At some point you just gotta get around to doing it ://
Ohmygodiamonfire
Ohmygodiamonfire
Traveler

What are you currently watching/reading? - Page 3 Empty Re: What are you currently watching/reading?

Sun May 24, 2020 12:08 am
JanieCox wrote:
Jadelynn wrote:Way too much, and about half of it rewatches . . . but as far as notable non-rewatches go, I've got BNA and My Next Life As A Villainess from this season, DanMachi, and Kekkai Sensen & Beyond.

BNA is dope, still haven't seen Promare but I've been concerned about the future of Trigger since Franxx. Glad to see they haven't lost their talent, think the director is gonna be someone to keep watching
Honestly I don't think there was anything to worry about the future of Trigger after Franxx, since SSSS Gridman was their project right after that and it was fantastic.

That, and Franxx was only a co-production with A1 to begin with and not fully theirs.
JanieCox
JanieCox
Meandering

Sun May 24, 2020 12:19 am
Ohmygodiamonfire wrote:Honestly I don't think there was anything to worry about the future of Trigger after Franxx, since SSSS Gridman was their project right after that and it was fantastic.

That, and Franxx was only a co-production with A1 to begin with and not fully theirs.

I never heard too much about Gridman and tbh it looked pretty generic to me so I was concerned for a bit. Should probably give it a try at some point
Jadelynn
Jadelynn
Setting Out
http://hotdnd.cfw.me/

Sun May 24, 2020 12:24 am
I wasn't too big on Gridman at the start but it really pulled me in around the halfway point. I also recommend trying it.
sky_and_sea
sky_and_sea
Setting Out

Sun May 24, 2020 12:25 am
JanieCox wrote:
Jadelynn wrote:The director of BNA is Yoh Yoshinari, who also directed everything Little Witch Academia, so I've been interested in his career for over half a decade now. The original LWA movie holds a very special place in my heart due to how it affected me back when it came out. The whole thing is a love letter to animation and that was something I needed at that time.

I'm a big fan of LWA too, don't have as strong of a connection with it. Started with the show on Netflix, then went on to watch the movies. Have you seen The Making of Little Witch Academia Documentary? looks like I can't post external links for 7 days, it's on Youtube if you haven't I love learning about that kinda stuff, how good media is made

Glad to see other LWA fans out here. I started with the first film, then the second, and then the TV series a while after.
The original film is probably my favorite part of LWA overall, but everything else is solid. TV series finale also gets a special
place in my heart because of I got to watch it with my great grandma. Watching cool animations with others is a treat.
Seri
Seri
Meandering

Sun May 24, 2020 12:28 am
The biggest stumbling block for Gridman is you may not get the most out of it if you're not already into live action shows like Ultraman and the original Gridman itself. It's not a bad thing, but it rides hard on it's roots that may be lost on people who aren't familiar.
JanieCox
JanieCox
Meandering

Sun May 24, 2020 1:43 am
Seri wrote:The biggest stumbling block for Gridman is you may not get the most out of it if you're not already into live action shows like Ultraman and the original Gridman itself. It's not a bad thing, but it rides hard on it's roots that may be lost on people who aren't familiar.

I have no history with any of that stuff. Still will give it a try but that's good to know
Pear
Pear
Setting Out

Sun May 24, 2020 5:38 am
LWA and BNA are both a lot of fun. The silly slice of life episodes are the best. I wonder what three letter anime ending with A featuring a total goofball as protagonist we'll get next. I really love the history of Trigger since you can clearly see how it's the same people who did Gurren Lagann and stuff for Gainax. Motifs like the two perpendicular rays of light return in all their works. It does seem like Trigger is finding its own voice with Promare and BNA though. I'm in awe at the architecture of the Medical Centre.
JanieCox
JanieCox
Meandering

Sun May 24, 2020 12:47 pm
Pear wrote:LWA and BNA are both a lot of fun. The silly slice of life episodes are the best. I wonder what three letter anime ending with A featuring a total goofball as protagonist we'll get next. I really love the history of Trigger since you can clearly see how it's the same people who did Gurren Lagann and stuff for Gainax. Motifs like the two perpendicular rays of light return in all their works. It does seem like Trigger is finding its own voice with Promare and BNA though. I'm in awe at the architecture of the Medical Centre.

Space Patrol Luluco as the Trigger Extended Universe is great and I absolutely adore it
Wahmphi
Wahmphi
Meandering

Sun May 24, 2020 6:30 pm
JanieCox wrote:
Space Patrol Luluco as the Trigger Extended Universe is great and I absolutely adore it

I still think the absolute best part in Luluco is
Luluco Spoilers:
JanieCox
JanieCox
Meandering

Sun May 24, 2020 6:53 pm
Wahmphi wrote:
JanieCox wrote:

I still think the absolute best part in Luluco is
Luluco Spoilers:

Yeah that scene was dope. My fav part was probably the "stupid middle schooler" lines. Also I love the message it has, or at least what I got out of watching it. I haven't seem much discourse around it so idk if there's a general takeaway most people got from it

On another, separate note,
To anyone who watched/ read Golden Kamui, should I get back to reading the manga or watch the show? Started with the manga and it's one of my favorites, though tbf I haven't read as much as I'd like, and dropped the anime right before my favorite arc. Should get back into it, not sure which way to though. Any suggestions?

Last edited by JanieCox on Sun May 24, 2020 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added Golden Kamuy section, felt better than making a new post)
Ohmygodiamonfire
Ohmygodiamonfire
Traveler

Tue May 26, 2020 12:47 am
The tonal shifts in Infinite Stratos 2 are so absurd that I'm getting whiplash from them.

It's kind of hilarious in a way.
jaehaerys48
jaehaerys48
Setting Out

Tue May 26, 2020 1:08 pm
Wahmphi wrote:
jaehaerys48 wrote:This talk about Honey & Clover reminds me that I should get back to March Comes in Like a Lion, which is by the same author. I really liked the episodes of it that I have seen.

is that the one that's ostensibly about shogi but actually isn't at all?

Yes and no, yes in that it is the recent "shogi anime" that isn't really as much about shogi as Ryuuou no Oshigoto, but no in that March Comes in Like a Lion never really acts as if it is about shogi. It's pretty clear from ep 1 onwards that it's about character drama and it also happens to involve shogi. It's not presented or advertised as a sports anime.
Wahmphi
Wahmphi
Meandering

Tue May 26, 2020 1:43 pm
jaehaerys48 wrote:
Wahmphi wrote:
jaehaerys48 wrote:This talk about Honey & Clover reminds me that I should get back to March Comes in Like a Lion, which is by the same author. I really liked the episodes of it that I have seen.

is that the one that's ostensibly about shogi but actually isn't at all?

Yes and no, yes in that it is the recent "shogi anime" that isn't really as much about shogi as Ryuuou no Oshigoto, but no in that March Comes in Like a Lion never really acts as if it is about shogi. It's pretty clear from ep 1 onwards that it's about character drama and it also happens to involve shogi. It's not presented or advertised as a sports anime.

Sorry, feel like I came across as more snide than I meant to be

It seems like its good, and I already had a good impression of Honey & Clover, so I'll probably try it eventually

It just doesn't fit my grognardy desire for something explicitly about the game of shogi and its strategies
KazumaKillyou
KazumaKillyou
Setting Out

Tue May 26, 2020 5:10 pm
Lately I've actually been rewatching the king of divisiveness itself, SAO, with my boyfriend. Gotta say it's interesting going back and experiencing the parts I either straight up forgot or thought were worse than they were. Over the years I've cooled wayyyyy down on hating it but I'd be lying if I said a good chunk of the writing doesn't still bug me. GGO Alternative was actually pretty fun since Keiichi Sigsawa, the Kino's Journey author, co-wrote for that.
JanieCox
JanieCox
Meandering

Tue May 26, 2020 5:18 pm
KazumaKillyou wrote:Lately I've actually been rewatching the king of divisiveness itself, SAO, with my boyfriend. Gotta say it's interesting going back and experiencing the parts I either straight up forgot or thought were worse than they were. Over the years I've cooled wayyyyy down on hating it but I'd be lying if I said a good chunk of the writing doesn't still bug me. GGO Alternative was actually pretty fun since Keiichi Sigsawa, the Kino's Journey author, co-wrote for that.

I couldn't get into Kino's Journey, forget why. Started watching Girl's Last Tour around the same time though and it gave me everything I wanted/ expected from Kino so I still got something nice. Tried buying the LN once but the bookstore got me the manga :/
KazumaKillyou
KazumaKillyou
Setting Out

Tue May 26, 2020 5:24 pm
JanieCox wrote:
KazumaKillyou wrote:Lately I've actually been rewatching the king of divisiveness itself, SAO, with my boyfriend. Gotta say it's interesting going back and experiencing the parts I either straight up forgot or thought were worse than they were. Over the years I've cooled wayyyyy down on hating it but I'd be lying if I said a good chunk of the writing doesn't still bug me. GGO Alternative was actually pretty fun since Keiichi Sigsawa, the Kino's Journey author, co-wrote for that.

I couldn't get into Kino's Journey, forget why. Started watching Girl's Last Tour around the same time though and it gave me everything I wanted/ expected from Kino so I still got something nice. Tried buying the LN once but the bookstore got me the manga :/

Oof I know the feeling of getting LN blocked too well. I haven't actually tried out GLT yet despite how popular it got when it was airing. It honestly seems cool in the "faffing about in surreal environments" kinda way. Will probably give it a try now that people have calmed down.
JanieCox
JanieCox
Meandering

Tue May 26, 2020 5:27 pm
[quote="KazumaKillyou"]
JanieCox wrote:Oof I know the feeling of getting LN blocked too well. I haven't actually tried out GLT yet despite how popular it got when it was airing. It honestly seems cool in the "faffing about in surreal environments" kinda way. Will probably give it a try now that people have calmed down.

One of my favorite series's tbh. Only one I've bought the Blu-Ray for, it's defo worth checking out
kbnet
kbnet
Setting Out
https://kbnet.tumblr.com/

Tue May 26, 2020 6:10 pm
Absolutely, Girls' Last Tour is great. tkmiz's manga provides very strong foundations for an adaptation, but director Takaharu Ozaki (and his staff) really went the extra mile in making sure the thing really lives and breathes as an anime. Helps that Inori Minase and Yurika Kubo turn in really great performances too.

(re: the Trigger discussion, I also strongly recommend SSSS Gridman but I'm a bit late on that whoops)
JanieCox
JanieCox
Meandering

Tue May 26, 2020 6:23 pm
kbnet wrote:Absolutely, Girls' Last Tour is great. tkmiz's manga provides very strong foundations for an adaptation, but director Takaharu Ozaki (and his staff) really went the extra mile in making sure the thing really lives and breathes as an anime. Helps that Inori Minase and Yurika Kubo turn in really great performances too.

(re: the Trigger discussion, I also strongly recommend SSSS Gridman but I'm a bit late on that whoops)

I think there are a few moments of added tension in the anime that weren't necessary and not really in the manga (i.e. Yuuri and the Book and their conversation about War on the plane), otherwise it's beautiful and really helps sell the empty space
DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin
https://midwintermeandering.forumotion.com

Tue May 26, 2020 7:55 pm
Girls' Last Tour is legitimately one of the best series I've watched/read. There's just so much subtle depth.

My little sister is going to start a job as a junior high/high school English teacher this year and she asked me for some manga recommendations she could have as free-read options for her kids. Girls' Last Tour was at the top of my list because 1. it's short, 2. there's nothing objectionable about it, and 3. it's actually got some academic value.
Ohmygodiamonfire
Ohmygodiamonfire
Traveler

Tue May 26, 2020 9:09 pm
As someone who's favorite manga is Blame!, would it be worth checking out Girls Last Tour?
JanieCox
JanieCox
Meandering

Tue May 26, 2020 9:12 pm
Ohmygodiamonfire wrote:As someone who's favorite manga is Blame!, would it be worth checking out Girls Last Tour?

Yes, the mangaka has stated that they took inspiration from the aesthetics of Blame! and things like Saving Private Ryan. The thing’s visually amazing. I think they both place a lot of emphasis on atmosphere. Not the same feeling imo but there’s enough to compare the two that I felt it even before looking too into the connection
Seri
Seri
Meandering

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:59 am
Caught up on Fafner The Beyond and it's bittersweet because of the odd release schedule means who knows when we'll get to see the next three! Oh well, there's something to be said for a franchise that keeps chugging along for a decade and a half like this with the occasional release!
JanieCox
JanieCox
Meandering

Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:57 am
So I'm probably finishing Kare Kano tonight and ummmmm episode 19
Wtf happened here lol
Guess the episode was directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi and like.....
Spoiler:
on the one hand I fucking love it but on the other hand

W H A T
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum