Midwinter Meandering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you currently watching/reading?

+14
KazumaKillyou
JanieCox
Wahmphi
Jadelynn
Pear
sky_and_sea
jaehaerys48
LakeElysia
Animecommentary
dorothyoka
Seri
Ohmygodiamonfire
EvieSigma
DaLadybugMan
18 posters
Go down
Katsie
Katsie
Meandering

What are you currently watching/reading? - Page 4 Empty Re: What are you currently watching/reading?

Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:56 am
I'm reading 'A Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes' by Suzanne Collins.
barbaricyawp
barbaricyawp
Setting Out

What are you currently watching/reading? - Page 4 Empty Re: What are you currently watching/reading?

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:37 pm
In addition to the new season of Kaguya-sama, I've been watching Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water. It has a nice range, going from charming kid's fantasy to dealing brutally wit hthe nature of death, and the shifts don't feel as jarring as some other series (the natural comparison point here is Eva.) I'm about to hit the filler arc that everyone hates though, so we'll see how I feel after that.

I've also been keeping up with Super Shiro, mostly to be a Yuasa completionist, but also because I like having a six-minute anime Loony Tunes to watch.
Seri
Seri
Meandering

Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:03 am
Nadia is a series I really need to get to some time.
JanieCox
JanieCox
Meandering
https://janiecox.wixsite.com/janiecox

Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:08 am
barbaricyawp wrote:I've also been keeping up with Super Shiro, mostly to be a Yuasa completionist, but also because I like having a six-minute anime Loony Tunes to watch.

Hadn't heard of this until now but will have to check it out ig, didn't know there was another new work coming from Yuasa so soon after Eizoken, though I guess being such a niche work makes sense I hadn't heard about it
LakeElysia
LakeElysia
Setting Out

Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:08 pm
About a week ago, I started rewatching Oregairu. Last time I watched it prior was like damn near five years ago, so this was a good refresher. I've managed to find newfound appreciation in all the interactions and quips between characters. It's actually pretty in-depth with its analysis of social psychology.
Pear
Pear
Setting Out

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:19 am
I've been rewatching Hidamari Sketch and it's as charming as ever. I'm actually thinking of writing a short essay about it. Does anyone know which art movements the anime takes inspiration from? The frequent usage of polkadots feels kinda reminiscent of Yayoi Kusama or maybe even popart. The photorealistic objects remind me of readymade art. I'm not too familiar with art theory/history though, so I'm not entirely sure.

What are you currently watching/reading? - Page 4 Hidama10
What are you currently watching/reading? - Page 4 Hidama12
What are you currently watching/reading? - Page 4 Hidama11
DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin
https://midwintermeandering.forumotion.com

Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:45 pm
I really couldn't tell you the name of the art styles or anything in Hidamari Sketch, but I do really love how so many of the stylistic choices were born out of a very limited budget and then expanded on when the show could afford to pour more into the animation. It gives it such a neat style that feels quintessentially SHAFT while also feeling unique.
kbnet
kbnet
Setting Out
https://kbnet.tumblr.com/

Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:30 pm
I'm currently watching The Expanse, which is…not anime, but I'm also reading a web novel called I got kicked out of my party because I'm a girl, so I joined up with a legendary witch to make the most powerful team around by Ameko Kaeruda. That's my translation of the title anyway – it got an English translation abbreviated "Sexiled," but I forget how they had the full name. It's pretty good. I started reading it a few months back, but I'm just now picking it back up. I'm tired of being middling at moon, but otoh I'm too lazy to commit to actual studying with anki these days, so I finally decided I'll just read until I git gud. Worked for learning my native language, after all.
jaehaerys48
jaehaerys48
Setting Out

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:28 pm
I've heard good things about Sexiled, I might check it out since I've been getting more into LNs lately.
kbnet
kbnet
Setting Out
https://kbnet.tumblr.com/

Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:11 am
I'm pretty unfamiliar with the landscape of LNs too. Kaeruda has a nice sense of style that I don't think I credited them* for at first, though structurally it feels less like a real book and more like fanfiction due to its web novel background. The setting is shorthand fantasy so that Kaeruda can get to the shit they care about and not worry about whether anything in the world makes sense if you poke at it too much, which…we'll see if that holds up in the long term. It's good though. I dunno if I'd recommend it ahead of…I dunno, what's a well-respected LN series? Spice & Wolf is next on my own list, probably. Either that or the Sound! Euphonium books – but those are novel novels.

I'm actually pleased that it's at about the right reading level that it's introducing new vocabulary at a rate that I can learn it at without the actual reading becoming a painful slog.

*The translator seems to think they're a girl, but I dunno if she knows something I don't, or if she's guessing. My impression based on what Kaeruda said has been of a male yuri fan who downed a whole bottle of respect women juice, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Seri
Seri
Meandering

Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:42 pm
Finally started reading Kaiju Girl Caramelise. On the one hand I wish I started soon, but on the other, at least waiting this long gave me more chapters to read before I hit that waiting once a month wall! So far it's practically perfect since they are not dragging drama out and characters are actually communicating!
Lone wanderer
Setting Out

Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:42 am
Currently watching gundam 00, just finished sword art online. Looking for suggestions if you've got them
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum