Midwinter Meandering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you currently playing?

+13
Katsie
KazumaKillyou
SpicyTomato
JanieCox
Jadelynn
MellowZenith
Pear
EvieSigma
sky_and_sea
Thehoennhippo
Animecommentary
dorothyoka
DaLadybugMan
17 posters
Go down
EvieSigma
EvieSigma
Meandering

What are you currently playing? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are you currently playing?

Thu May 21, 2020 3:15 pm
I haven't played anything since beating FF7 Remake but I'm thinking of doing another run through Zelda Link's Awakening DX after watching a friend stream it recently.
Pear
Pear
Setting Out

What are you currently playing? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are you currently playing?

Thu May 21, 2020 9:28 pm
dorothyoka wrote:I just recently finished my 100% playthrough of Megadimension Neptunia VII which with a heavy heart means I'm out of mainline Neptunia games to 100%.

As for currently playing, a small group of friends have been playing Minecraft together as a sort of hype up to 1.16 coming out in which they changed the heck out of the Nether making it super interesting and featuring some really nice music from Celeste's soundtrack composer, Lena Raine -- slightly got back into modding too with us using a custom datapack I've been making. I've also been playing The Talos Principle, a neat philosophical puzzle game made by the Serious Sam devs that my favourite Twitch streamer speedruns a lot, and slowly but surely reaching 100% in my Disgaea 2 PC playthrough that I started back in 2017.

Replay wise I've been kiiiinda? replaying Celeste since last time I played it I rage quit because I was bad at Chapter 9 and I want to get my 100% for it back.

Woah they added music by someone other than c418 to Minecraft? I didn't expect that. It's good that it's by Lena Raine though, the Celeste OST is lovely.

I've recently started playing Nier;Automata for the first time. So far the gameplay has been fun and the dialogue even better. I do have a lot of sidequests now though... those are generally not my favourite part of RPGs.

I also booted up Clannad again. Doing the Nagisa path now for nostalgia sake. The only other paths I've completed are Sunohara (for some reason this was the first path I got???) and Ryou. Will probably rewatch Afterstory after I finish. It's about time.

Aside from that I've been frustrated at the capitalistic nature of Animal Crossing, and I haven't touched Yakuza 0 and Fire Emblem: Three Houses in a while. I really should finish games in one go...
MellowZenith
MellowZenith
Setting Out

Thu May 21, 2020 10:52 pm
Recently I've been playing a lot of Tetris and have been trying to finally complete a playthrough of Morrowind.

Been also thinking about buying one of the Wizardry games since they tend to be pretty cheap and seem like they'd be right up my alley.
DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin
https://midwintermeandering.forumotion.com

Thu May 21, 2020 11:00 pm
Ohmygodiamonfire wrote:
Wahmphi wrote:
Ohmygodiamonfire wrote:Oh right, I've also been playing Thief 2 since I don't have a whole lot else to do on my graveyard shifts.

It's level design is honestly unmatched even 20 years later.

good man

we need more first person stealth-em-ups along those lines

at least Dishonored scratches the same itch

I like the first Dishonored, but I think I've mentioned before how it feels like the game intentionally limits you by punishing you for using a majority of your abilities. Also it's more...linear? I guess? Level design does kinda take away a bit of that feeling. Still a great game though, probably should get around to the second one of these days.

This is one of the main reason I still haven't finished Dishonored despite trying to start it up again recently. It gives you a ton of options for powers and then immediately says "oh by the way, if you ever use any of these, we're going to punish you. Anyway, what power do you want to upgrade?" Outright ruins my enthusiasm for the game to be dangling options that shouldn't be used over my head.
dorothyoka
dorothyoka
Admin

Fri May 22, 2020 1:27 am
Pear wrote:Woah they added music by someone other than c418 to Minecraft? I didn't expect that. It's good that it's by Lena Raine though, the Celeste OST is lovely.

Yup! I've been exploring the snapshot builds a bit recently and honestly the new Nether couldn't have a better soundtrack. Reminds me a lot of the the songs she did in Celeste for the Core and Mirror Temple. They also added a lot of ambience that makes the whole atmosphere feel like an entirely different world compared to what the Nether was before.
Pear
Pear
Setting Out

Fri May 22, 2020 5:09 am
dorothyoka wrote:
Pear wrote:Woah they added music by someone other than c418 to Minecraft? I didn't expect that. It's good that it's by Lena Raine though, the Celeste OST is lovely.

Yup! I've been exploring the snapshot builds a bit recently and honestly the new Nether couldn't have a better soundtrack. Reminds me a lot of the the songs she did in Celeste for the Core and Mirror Temple. They also added a lot of ambience that makes the whole atmosphere feel like an entirely different world compared to what the Nether was before.

Wow I really need to play this. C418's Nether music was already great but this sounds amazing.
Wahmphi
Wahmphi
Meandering

Fri May 22, 2020 6:58 am
MellowZenith wrote:Recently I've been playing a lot of Tetris and have been trying to finally complete a playthrough of Morrowind.

Been also thinking about buying one of the Wizardry games since they tend to be pretty cheap and seem like they'd be right up my alley.

Morrowind is awesome

Which Wizardry were you thinking about snagging? Haven't played them specifically but Might & Magic, Legend of Grimrock and Dungeon Master seem to be in the same vein.
MellowZenith
MellowZenith
Setting Out

Fri May 22, 2020 9:11 pm
Wahmphi wrote:
MellowZenith wrote:Recently I've been playing a lot of Tetris and have been trying to finally complete a playthrough of Morrowind.

Morrowind is awesome

Which Wizardry were you thinking about snagging? Haven't played them specifically but Might & Magic, Legend of Grimrock and Dungeon Master seem to be in the same vein.

Probably going to grab 8 while it's on sale but the remake of the 1st one also interests me a bit. I've played a couple of games like it before but I've been having a bit of an itch for some old dungeon crawler action
DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin

Sat May 23, 2020 9:22 pm
So I just started playing the Halo 2 campaign.

Before this my only Halo experience was with multiplayer, then the Halo Reach and Halo CE campaigns, so I thought they were just kind of lackluster. But holy shit had Halo 2 turned my opinions on that around. And it's still just the opening levels.

I love this.
JanieCox
JanieCox
Meandering
https://janiecox.wixsite.com/janiecox

Sat May 23, 2020 11:00 pm
Got Enter the Gungeon recently and I love it. Also been playing a lot of Pure Hackmons on Showdown, which I'll probably elaborate on in a later post to try to convince everyone here to play because it's really fun.
Jadelynn
Jadelynn
Setting Out
http://hotdnd.cfw.me/

Sat May 23, 2020 11:16 pm
Keep going back and forth between Borderlands 2 and Stellaris mostly atm, wish I had something I could play Borderlands 3 on but alas
EvieSigma
EvieSigma
Meandering

Sat May 23, 2020 11:41 pm
I was playing Zelda Link's Awakening DX but I just realized that I probably screwed myself because I can't get an item I need to progress (the shovel) any more. Oops.
Wahmphi
Wahmphi
Meandering

Sun May 24, 2020 6:18 pm
JanieCox wrote:Also been playing a lot of Pure Hackmons on Showdown, which I'll probably elaborate on in a later post to try to convince everyone here to play because it's really fun.

I can't brain comp pokemon, have been reading a little about it lately though. what is Pure Hackmons, exactly?
JanieCox
JanieCox
Meandering

Sun May 24, 2020 6:56 pm
Wahmphi wrote:
JanieCox wrote:Also been playing a lot of Pure Hackmons on Showdown, which I'll probably elaborate on in a later post to try to convince everyone here to play because it's really fun.

I can't brain comp pokemon, have been reading a little about it lately though. what is Pure Hackmons, exactly?

Pure Hackmons is anything you could hack into the game, you can play. For the most part this means any pokemon can have any moveset you want, and gen 3 onwards you can give them any ability too (in gen 3 abilities were hardcoded to mons). It allows for imo a lot of different styles of play and there's a lot more prediction of what the opponent's mons will do. I can go more in depth if you'd like but that's the basic idea.
Ohmygodiamonfire
Ohmygodiamonfire
Traveler

Sun May 24, 2020 7:33 pm
DaLadybugMan wrote:So I just started playing the Halo 2 campaign.

Before this my only Halo experience was with multiplayer, then the Halo Reach and Halo CE campaigns, so I thought they were just kind of lackluster. But holy shit had Halo 2 turned my opinions on that around. And it's still just the opening levels.

I love this.
Halo 2's campaign is great. Except for a few sections of some levels where it devolves into Elevator Action.
Wahmphi
Wahmphi
Meandering

Sun May 24, 2020 7:44 pm
JanieCox wrote:Pure Hackmons is anything you could hack into the game, you can play. For the most part this means any pokemon can have any moveset you want, and gen 3 onwards you can give them any ability too (in gen 3 abilities were hardcoded to mons). It allows for imo a lot of different styles of play and there's a lot more prediction of what the opponent's mons will do. I can go more in depth if you'd like but that's the basic idea.

can you change pokemon type and their stats? the format, as least my initial impression, sounds like its combining abilities and movesets for maximum effectiveness, with the pokemon themselves as an afterthought.
JanieCox
JanieCox
Meandering

Sun May 24, 2020 7:53 pm
Wahmphi wrote:
JanieCox wrote:Pure Hackmons is anything you could hack into the game, you can play. For the most part this means any pokemon can have any moveset you want, and gen 3 onwards you can give them any ability too (in gen 3 abilities were hardcoded to mons). It allows for imo a lot of different styles of play and there's a lot more prediction of what the opponent's mons will do. I can go more in depth if you'd like but that's the basic idea.

can you change pokemon type and their stats? the format, as least my initial impression, sounds like its combining abilities and movesets for maximum effectiveness, with the pokemon themselves as an afterthought.

No type or stat changes, that's where choosing your pokemon mostly comes into play. The pokemon themselves do matter quite a bit, mostly for typing and stats, though it matters less than in normal pokemon. Alolan Muk is only weak to ground type moves, so giving it Wonder Guard and Air Balloon makes it pretty hard to hit though not impossible. STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus) also is an important factor for offensive pokemon. Most of what you're considering when making teams is variations on archetypes.
Also, gen 4 onwards you can max out EVs, so 252 in every relevant stat
I'd post links to the ability/ item referenced since idk if you're familiar with them and it seems useful but guess I gotta wait a week  Crying or Very sad
DaLadybugMan
DaLadybugMan
Admin

Mon May 25, 2020 12:44 am
Just beat Doom Eternal.

What a fun game. Perhaps at a later date I will delve more into the Doom franchise and revisit the game actually caring about the lore instead of just playing like Doomguy doesn't give a shit about Earth or whatever the hell else is going on; Doomguy only cares about finding demons and shooting demons with guns.
Wahmphi
Wahmphi
Meandering

Mon May 25, 2020 1:25 am
Have been getting back into Dark Souls 1 and 3. Gave 2 another shot as well but I just flat-out don't enjoy it as much.

As far as 1 goes, Painted World of Ariamis was a neat optional area, am struggling through Anor Londo now. These lightning demons and stake throwing guys are rude as hell.

DaLadybugMan wrote:
What a fun game. Perhaps at a later date I will delve more into the Doom franchise and revisit the game actually caring about the lore instead of just playing like Doomguy doesn't give a shit about Earth or whatever the hell else is going on; Doomguy only cares about finding demons and shooting demons with guns.

Just hmu whenever you're ready to play the classic one, I'll link you a good source port.
Jadelynn
Jadelynn
Setting Out
http://hotdnd.cfw.me/

Mon May 25, 2020 5:24 am
I like Dark Souls quite a bit, but the furthest I've ever gotten was Ornstein & Smough. Got stuck at that boss fight and could never manage to get past it.
SpicyTomato
SpicyTomato
Setting Out

Mon May 25, 2020 6:05 am
Ar Tonelico 2, I suppose
Ohmygodiamonfire
Ohmygodiamonfire
Traveler

Mon May 25, 2020 11:33 am
Wahmphi wrote:Have been getting back into Dark Souls 1 and 3. Gave 2 another shot as well but I just flat-out don't enjoy it as much.

As far as 1 goes, Painted World of Ariamis was a neat optional area, am struggling through Anor Londo now. These lightning demons and stake throwing guys are rude as hell.

DaLadybugMan wrote:

Just hmu whenever you're ready to play the classic one, I'll link you a good source port.

It's a shame you couldn't get into 2 all that much, but at least your complaints made sense. Can't say I really found any issues with the I-frames myself though.
dorothyoka
dorothyoka
Admin

Mon May 25, 2020 1:58 pm
Recently picked up Moonlighter from Humble's 21st indie bundle and goodness is it fun. You play as a merchant in a fantasy world so every day you go out to the local dungeon to get things to sell to adventurers and you then use the money to upgrade the store and your equipment to dive deeper. Super satisfying combat and a stellar soundtrack.
KazumaKillyou
KazumaKillyou
Setting Out

Tue May 26, 2020 2:00 am
Recently been trekking through the new Prey from Arkane after forever and a half. It's scratching an itch particularly close to System Shock 2 and some other immersive sims. Would recommend.
Wahmphi
Wahmphi
Meandering

Tue May 26, 2020 11:00 am
KazumaKillyou wrote:Recently been trekking through the new Prey from Arkane after forever and a half. It's scratching an itch particularly close to System Shock 2 and some other immersive sims. Would recommend.

Crossing my fingers Deathloop ends up being as good as it looks, they do the imsim genre really well. I don't think its too much of a stretch to call Arkane the contemporary Looking Glass Studios.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum